Fasting and Feasting Pt. 2
Fasting is not a way to manipulate God or get what we want, but as we see in Scripture, fasting is FEASTING upon God. Fasting is a great act of service, not only to ourselves, but to those caught up in injustice. We must remember that our sin and out-of-control appetites cause every injustice.
Today we are calling you to a fast. We are asking you to forgo something you “love” in order to love God and people better. We are calling you to meditate once again on ISA 58, and to consider the ways in which through the means afforded you, that you can actively be God’s hands and feet to those in the world that need your help.
Here’s the blessings God promises to you as a result of your obedience:
What fasting does in you?
- Fasting awakens us to the seriousness of our sin (Numbers 6:9-12).
- Fasting awakens our spiritual senses (Numbers 6:9-12).
- Fasting molds within us a humble heart toward the Lord as with David (Ps. 35:13).
- Fasting purifies the body and soul and awakens a person toward listening to their spirit rather than their flesh (Daniel 1).
- Fasting is obedience to Jesus’ command, and when we fast, we are submitting under his Lordship (Mt. 6).
What fasting does for you?
- Fasting gives victory and is a cry to the Lord (1 Sam. 7:5-11).
- Fasting, like in Paul’s case, grows and brings fruit to ministry (Acts 9:9; 2 Cor. 6:5).
- Fasting holds back God’s judgment (Deut. 9:18-26).
- Fasting brings an answer to prayer as with Hannah (1 Sam. 1:7).
- Fasting provides God’s protection as seen in Ezra (Ez.8:21-23).
- Fasting quickens our ability to hear and receive from God’s Word (Is. 58:6-14).
- Fasting is powerful in spiritual warfare (Is. 58).
- Fasting aids decision-making (Acts 13:1-4).
What fasting does in others?
- Fasting can help a group receive deliverance (Jonah 3:1-10).
- Fasting prepares our hearts for the Second Coming (Joel 2:15-18).
What fasting does for others?
- Fasting helps us to lead others (2 Chron. 20:2-26).
- Fasting rescues nations (Neh. 1:4).
- Fasting is a way in which we secretly serve God and others (Mt. 6:4).
*For further reading in the Bible: Isaiah 58
Accompanying this study is over 300-Hours of video footage from 150 of today’s top Christian thinkers on culture, creativity, innovation, and invention at www.makejesusculture.com and www.gardencityproject.com. We aim to help churches develop grass roots culture formation for their contexts. Go now!