Weekend Review – 04-01-2010 – Maundy Thursday – Good Friday
For a direct link to the planning center outline, click here: http://www.planningcenteronline.com/plans/1264650/public
- Have three candles lit at the foot of the cross before people come in.
- God of Wonders
- Thou Didst Leave Thy Throne ReadingVs. 1-2
Thou didst leave Thy throne and Thy kingly crown
when Thou camest to earth for me;
But in Bethlehem’s home was there found no room
For Thy holy nativity.
Heaven’s arches rang when the angels sang,
proclaiming They royal degree;
But of lowly birth didst Thou come to earth,
and in great humility
- Candle Instruction #1: John 1:1-5As a biological family, or spiritual family, go pick an unlit candle from one of the tables or from the foot of the Cross, bring it forward and light it from the candle at the foot of the cross. Then Take it back to where you found it.
1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.
3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.
- Come Thou Long Expected Jesus
- Joy to the World
- Thou Didst Leave Thy Throne Reading: John 1:10-14Vs. 3
The foxes found rest, and the birds their nest
In the shade of the forest tree;
But Thy couch was the sod, O Thou Son of God,
In the deserts of Galilee.
10He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.
14The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
- Spirit of the Sovereign Lord (Andy Park)
- Prayer for the people we’re inviting to Easter
- All Who Are Thirsty (Kutless arr.)
- Prayer for the Easter Services
- Thou Didst Leave Thy Throne ReadingVs. 4
Thou camest, O Lord, with the living word
That should set Thy people free;
But with mocking scorn and with crown of thorn
They bore Thee to Calvary.
- The Wonderful Cross
- The Nails in your hands with “I could sing of your love forever)
- Communion Explanation & Candle Instruction #2: Mark 15:33-39In the same group as from before, go & take communion together. After you have taken communion, have one member of your group blow out the candle that you lit earlier tonight. When you blow out the candle, remember that Christ died on the Cross for you. Jesus Christ Our Savior, gave his life for you. When we break bread together we do so to remember His life – broken for us. When we drink from the cup – we remember his blood, poured out for us and the new covenant he made with us.
33At the sixth hour darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour. 34And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?”—which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”
35When some of those standing near heard this, they said, “Listen, he’s calling Elijah.”
36One man ran, filled a sponge with wine vinegar, put it on a stick, and offered it to Jesus to drink. “Now leave him alone. Let’s see if Elijah comes to take him down,” he said.
37With a loud cry, Jesus breathed his last.
38The curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. 39And when the centurion, who stood there in front of Jesus, heard his cry and saw how he died, he said, “Surely this man was the Son of God!”
- (Worship leader, in silence blows out one of the candles at the foot of the cross.
- Pardoning blood
- Candle Instruction #3Once again in the same groups, go get the candle you blew out after communion. Bring it forward, and light it from the candle at the foot of the cross. Then, take your candle and put it in the one of the windows here in the sanctuary.
- Thou Didst Leave Thy Throne Reading: Matthew 5:14-16Read Verse 5 then sing song
When the heavens shall ring and the angels sing
At thy coming to victory
Let Thy voice call me home, saying “Yet there is room-
There is room at my side for thee.”
14″You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
- Sing “Thou didst Leave Thy Throne.