Kevin’s Weekend Review 9-6-09
Happy Labor Day week to everyone! Like many of you, I had Monday off for Labor Day… so now I’m trying to catch up on all the work I missed on Monday! Sunday feels like so long ago, but it was really only a couple of days.
This past Sunday was communion; and we had a guest speaker; and I introduced a new congregational song… it was a busy morning! Our practice ran late; partly because we weren’t able to practice on Thursday. Only one person was able to make it Thursday, so we tried to meet really early on Sunday… and we still ran late. But I think the extra practice paid off because we nailed the new Paul Baloche tune.
This is a song that I learned at the worship conference I went to a few weeks ago. The song hasn’t even been recorded yet, but the song impacted me so much at the conference that I just had to bring it to my church. So I taught it to my team and we taught it to the church. I think it’s going to take a few weeks for them to get comfortable with it, but I know this song has big potential. Be watching for it early next year; I really think when it hits the radio that it’s going to be the next “Open the Eyes of my Heart” song. Yeah… it’s that good! 🙂
Here’s what our Sunday looked like:
- Sing Your Praise (original song written by me)
- All Hail the Power (cool arrangement of the hymn I came up with)
- Lord Most High (older Vineyard song; I’m not sure who wrote it)
- Communion (with songs between the elements)
- Mystery (just the chorus of this wonderfully simple Charlie Hall tune. We did it on Easter and it’s stuck with our people for some reason)
- Glorious(this is that new Paul Baloche tune I was mentioning. Man I love this song! Once it comes out, you’ll understand what I’m talking about 🙂 )
- I’ll Fly Away (Jars of Clay arrangement; but a little faster)
- Sunday School launch
- Body Life / Prayer for offering
- Video Slideshow– I put together some scenery and nature pictures of my recent vacation to Hawaii and while the slideshow was going I played “This is My Father’s World”… it was cool!
- Message: “The Pursuit of Happiness” – Ecclesiastes 1 & 2 (Steve Tompert)
- Closing prayer and challenge
To see what other Worship Leaders did during the week, head over to Fred McKinnon’s blog and join in on the conversation. Have a great week!