Kevin’s Weekend Review: 9-27-09
Hi everyone! This week we did kind of a “throw-back” service and busted out a few of the Oldie Goldies from the archives. It was fun; and our people love doing older songs. I think if it was their way, they would stay in the late 80’s and early 90’s forever! 🙂
Luckily, I’m a firm believer that cultures change, music changes, and even the way we worship can change. Have you ever wondered why Jesus never taught his disciples how to worship? He taught them how to pray in Luke 11 (Lord’s Prayer), but there’s never any teachings about how to worship. I think it’s because Jesus understood that things change. As long as the message doesn’t change it’s okay if things are done in a new or different way.
Speaking of new: I’ve been doing a lot of new songs lately. On a whim, I decided to try out “Revelation Song” as a special during the offering to see if I could get a read or vibe on if the song would work. Man, oh man! While the offering plate was going around, people were standing and worshipping and totally engaging in that song. If you haven’t heard it yet, get on YouTube or buy it on iTunes: POWERFUL song!
Here’s what our Sunday service looked like:
- He Is Exalted (Twila Paris)
- Lord I Lift Your Name on High (Rick Founds)
- Nothing But the Blood(hymn with a cool groove from a band I used to play with: forgivenmuch)
- You Alone(David Crowder)
- You Are My All in All (Dennis Jernigan)
- Mission Focus: MOPS and Club 66
- Body Life / Prayer for Offering
- Revelation Song(Jamie Riddle; Kari Jobe arrangement from New Life Church)
- Message: “Take This Bible and Love it” – 2 Timothy 3
- You Are My All in All (reprise: just the chorus)
To check out what other worship leader’s are doing from around the country, go over to Fred McKinnon’s blog; you might just get some cool ideas!