Kevin’s Weekend Review: 2-15-09
Hi everyone! Well… I didn’t have the “Valentine’s Day Problems” that David had since we just have a Sunday service. But, I did have some other challenges to face as we had one of the laypeople in our church (Steve) preaching this Sunday. Additionally, I had one of my co-leaders leading most of the songs and she led most of the practice.
I was a little nervous going into this Sunday because I knew it would look, feel, and sound different than most other Sundays… but it went really well! I was super impressed with the message and also with the way Rachel led the practice and the songs. I’ve been trying to be more intentional about having others lead. It’s one of those deals where I don’t want to be a control freak; it’s so much more meaningful when others have buy-in and actually are leading. That’s one of my big goals for 2009: to do less and have others do more!
So, here’s what we did on Sunday: Steve was preaching on 1 Corinthians 15, which is all about heaven, and the rapture… so we set the stage right at the beginning of the service explaining how all the songs have to do with heaven and the scripture passage; making the whole service very thematic.
- I’ll Fly Away (old hymn with a cool “Jars of Clay” arrangement)
- Soon and Very Soon (old Andre’ Crouch song… similar arrangement as “I’ll Fly Away”)
- Marvelous Light (Charlie Hall)
- I Can Only Imagine (Mercy Me/Bart Millard)
- Forever (Calvary Chapel tune… “The nails in Your hands / The nail in Your feet…”)
- Better is One Day (Matt Redman; arrangement straight off the “One Day Live” album)
- Commissioned Mission Teams
- Special Song: “I Surrender All” (sung in Spanish like on the new Michael W. Smith album)
- Message on 1 Corinthians 15:50-58
- Amazing Grace (just piano and vocals)
It was a good service; and it was really good having other people take such an active role in the music and the message. For more weekend reviews, check out Fred McKinnon’s website